Monday, June 27, 2011

A Strong Name

Baby names are something that Shawn and I didn't have much of a challenge coming to an agreement on.  We never bought a book, we never had much of a discussion... we just knew what was right and fit our family.

So we are excited and blessed in August to be welcoming to our family Baby E. aka Tad... from here forward known as Robert Lacy Edwards.

Baby Robert/Rob/Robbie is named after several strong men that we hope he grows up to emulate.

Robert comes from my side of the family. 

My Grandpa, Robert Miller, was a pilot in World War II.  He put himself through medical school, and raised a family of one son and three daughters with the fantastic partnership of my Grandma Miller.  He raised his kids to value hard work, family, and faith -- and expected the same from those around him.   One of my memories of him as a child was his testing my eyes at my parent's home in Florida.  For some reason I can't remember, I was scared.  I remember to this day he said to me: "There will be many things in your life that frighten you... that's not a reason to not face those fears."
My Dad is Gerald Robert; my brother is Matthew Robert.  Both of them are a man in the mold of Grandpa Miller.  They both have worked hard, sometimes in challenging times, to provide for their families.  Both put their families first, and have valued being a Dad as their most important job in life.




Lacy comes from Shawn's side, and is after Shawn's dad, Lacy L. Edwards. 

Robbie will be the first grandchild on the Edwards side of the family, and it is only fitting that he have the honor to carry on Shawn's family name.  Shawn's dad was an only child, so Robbie will carry on the family name Edwards as well-- and what a name it is.  Lacy Edwards is a man that has faced all the challenges in his life head on.  He also raised four children (three sons and one daughter) to put family first.  He worked tirelessly to raise a family that values faith, hard work and selflessness.

Robert is lucky to share their names. I hope he does them justice.

3 comments:

  1. Robbie is lucky to carry on the names of four amazing men in his
    Life or watching over him. we can't wait to watch him grow into the amazing little man he's destined to become.

    Loves!
    Aunt Emilie, Uncle Kevin, Abby and the peanut in the belly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robbie! Tad! Lacy!

    So excited to hear! What beautiful meanings and wonderful men to follow and learn from!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the story of the name - as will your son - and of course I am partial to "Robert," since I have several in my life. Robbie Edwards is one lucky little boy!

    ReplyDelete