Sunday, November 20, 2011

New member of the Lord's flock

The family Edwards made the long trek from DC to the center of the universe (Marion, SC) to spend a few days with the family.  The main reason for the visit was Robbie getting Christened in my (Shawn) family's home church after which we will be spending Thanksgiving this year with the Miller side of the family in Atlanta.

Susann and I have not had a great deal of success finding a church close to our house and it is difficult for the older members of our family to make the trip to DC so we decided to ask if it would be alright to perform the ceremony in Marion.  Fortunately the Pastor agreed.  He is a great guy and while he was clear with Susann and I about the seriousness of what we were committing to he was also very supportive.

Susann and I selected my sister Paula to be Robbie's Godmother and our friend Mike M to be the Godfather - we knew what great people they were and this weekend only confirmed our judgement.

I will not go into all of the details of the ceremony but short version is that Susann and I promised to raise Robbie as a Christan and do everything in our power to provide a loving and supportive family environment.

Finally there is the fact that my parents - most especially my Mother - got to see the ceremony and secondly (by a nose) got the chance to show off their grandchild.  As I have relayed in earlier posts my parents have been dealing with some health issues over the last year so we took a great deal of satisfaction from bringing a little - about 12 lbs - good news to the table.  I think today's events did all of us a world of good.

Happy Thanksgiving!!

No comments:

Post a Comment