Wednesday, November 30, 2011

SIDS

SIDS, ya'll.

It's for REALS.

But chalk it into one of those categories of "things that neurotic moms should worry about, but that this neurotic mom has tucked into the back of her mind because all the crap life has dealt her about babies is already going to happen...right?"

One of the first new mom meetups I went to in the neighborhood we spent almost an hour talking about SIDS.

AN HOUR.

Apparently it is most common from 2-4 months of age...

Don't do the bumpers on the bed (I didn't)

Sleep on the back (Got it)

Fan on in the room (Did it)

No smoking around baby (Got it)

And 5000 other things that apparently can make you crazy with worry.  They have monitors you can buy if you baby's breathing changes.  But they often have false positives, which would apparently have you waking up in the middle of the night with a false alarm.  Can you imagine that panic?

The first time Rob slept through the night was early on.  I sent Shawn in to get him in the morning just to make sure he was alive.

I have only compulsively have checked on his breathing five times or so?

Maybe that makes me a bad mom? 

I was out with my Greenville girlfriends this week and recounted a baby incident from this week...

Baby was hanging out.  Cat napping like he does in the middle of the day.   I look over and he's got his eyes WIDE OPEN.  But sleeping?  And I have a minute of "Oh schizz, my baby is dying of SIDS...right NOW."

He wasn't.

Motherhood can give you a crazy sometimes apparently.

No comments:

Post a Comment