Thursday, February 21, 2013

A Gift for Our Daughter

A high school friend posted on Facebook a couple of days ago this article:

http://www.dailylife.com.au/life-and-love/real-life/why-cant-women-think-theyre-pretty-20130215-2ehpk.html

I know I've mentioned it before, but one of the biggest gifts I was given as a daughter was complete and utter comfort in my own skin.

My beauty is there.  It is different than yours.  (And yours).  But its there.

And it is inside and outside. 

I'm pretty because of my killer smile.  My awesome hair.  My secret dimple on my right cheek that only comes out sometimes.

But I'm also pretty because of the way I treat others.  Because of my kindness.

I'm beautiful because I can make people laugh.  Because I connect people and make them feel and know they are valuable to me and to the world.

Because I'm intelligent and can think outside the box.  I'm a creative thinker.  I'm in general a thinker.

Because I can sing "Welcome to the Jungle" or "Rollout" in front of a huge crowd with only one or two drinks of liquid courage.

And because I am who am I.  Confidence is the most beautiful gift any woman can have.

I'm delightfully normal in lots of ways.  I worry too much.  I have terrible taste in TV shows. I can be forgetful.  I can be completely inflexible.  I like to be left alone when I want to be left alone.

I get frustrated easily.  I'm 10 minutes early to everything.

Did I mention I watch Dance Moms?

But my gift to Anna Helen is that she sees the beauty in herself and in others.

That she grow wise and confident and strong.

That she works that double chin if it is here to stay.

The women in my world are pretty in so many ways. Beautiful in and out.  The most gorgeous I have ever seen.

I can't wait to raise another generation of that kind of woman.



No comments:

Post a Comment