Monday, January 20, 2014

Road Warrior

My Uncle Ed passed away sometime in the last week before he was found by a friend.

He was an imperfect man who loved Florida State football, his cat Thomassina, the beaches of the panhandle of Florida and his nieces and nephews.

He never missed a dance recital, a baptism, a graduation, or a wedding.  He took me on my first trip to Disney World as a surprise one weekend when I was six.

He sent spending money in college and opened his beach condo to me and seven of my sorority sisters in college so we could make bad choices at Spring Break in Panama City. 

He never lost touch when my Aunt and he divorced. 

He met Shawn before my parents did and asked "What are your intentions with my niece??"

 He was wildly embarrassing and wildly loving. 

He also struggled for over four decades with alcoholism, and unfortunately with family and professional help was never able to tame those demons. 

Raise a glass tonight (just one) and send some good vibes to the original Road Warrior, Uncle Ed.

No comments:

Post a Comment