Thursday, May 5, 2011

"It Tastes Like Gatorade"

I call BS on that, dear sweet sister in law!

Today I had my one-hour glucose screening to test for gestational diabetes.  This basically consisted of drinking a large bottle of what tasted like flat, extra-sugared hi-C fruit punch.  Except with that extra tang and grain of a blood-coursing amount of glucose inserted.

Sit for one hour, and get four vials of blood removed.

It was... gross.

Results come in tomorrow or Monday, and hopefully all is looking ok.  Up to 20% of pregnant women get gestational diabetes which can lead to pre-eclampsia and often leads to large babies.  

Add on top of that my doctor's observation today that my ute is now the size of a soccer ball, and is "quite large", and I'm nervous we're due for a Miller-sized baby. (For the record, I was the "smallest" of my siblings at 8lbs, 10oz.)

Otherwise, baby looked great.  My doctor said my ultrasound results are as good and on track as they get.  Back on June 1st to check on the previa and a few other things.  These weeks are starting to tick away quickly!

2 comments:

  1. Always go with orange, not fruit punch. Tastes like sweet Gatorade. Hope you don't have to do the 3-hour. That is like drinking straight sugar. I had to do it for Maddie (failed he one-hour by two points). Didn't have to do it with Jack, though. Hope your test went well. Sam Garvin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately Sam, they didn't give me a choice! I haven't gotten a call from my docs, so I'm going to assume I passed?

    ReplyDelete