Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Bedrest?

The rumors are true. 

After 38 weeks of avoiding bedrest.  Some weeks it felt narrowly avoiding bed rest.  Today.  I rest.

And 9 hours into bedrest, and I can tell you that I'm not cut out for this particular activity.

I had my weekly check-up this morning, and after three consecutive days of blood pressures between 140/90 and 150/100, I had a sneaking suspicion that my doctor wasn't going to be too pleased.  What's funny?  My blood pressure was ok at the appointment.  A little high, but nothing like the numbers I've been seeing the last couple days.

But then we went over my blood work from last week.  The liver enzyme that was slightly elevated?  It's even more elevated.

So I'm homebound for the rest of this pregnancy, and have some additional tests I have to do over the next 36 hours to check and see where I stand for pre-eclampsia. 

The doctor I saw today is my favorite in the practice, and she said my body just isn't ready to deliver.  I'm not engaged, or dilated, or effaced or any of those things they want you to be before the baby comes.  If they took me today, I'd pretty much be guaranteed a c-section. 

So I'm scheduled for an induction on August 25th, with lots of monitoring between now and then.    Either way, we'll have a baby in the next 15 days.

Now I need some creative bedrest activities.  Help!

1 comment:

  1. Ugh, I don't think I'd do well with bedrest either. Time to take up knitting?

    I'll be thinking of you and hoping the next couple of weeks fly by with minimal discomfort and boredom. Can't wait to see you guys again and meet Baby E!

    ~Kelly

    ReplyDelete