Sunday, August 28, 2011

First week from Dad's point of view

Well Robbie was 4 days early.  He clearly is his mother's child.

I have to say that being in the operating room with Susann laid out on the operating table was somewhat unsettling but 10 minutes after they started we had a baby.

It is difficult to put into words when you see your child for the first time - most of you reading this have already experienced it but for those of you have haven't - well at least for me - it is somewhat overwhelming.  I was happy and a little scared.  This was it - the big leagues - the time for talking ( for the most part away) will now be replaced with doing.  As the late, great Elvis Presley once crooned - "A little less conversation, a little more action please."

I believe Susann and I are as prepared as two people can be to be parents.  We both grew up in amazingly strong families and since we have waited (some of the delay by choice, some not) a little later in life to have kids hopefully we are fairly mature.

And of course he would not have been my child if on the day he was born Tripoli falls to rebel forces -interesting but no real impact.  Then we had a fairly significant EARTHQUAKE on his second day followed up by a HURRICANE over his first weekend - both quite interesting to put it mildly.  We seem to have dodged any significant damage.  The Lord only gives you as much as you can handle.

I will close by saying that I love being a Father.

No comments:

Post a Comment