Friday, September 30, 2011

The Essentials

Someone asked that I post my perspective on the hospital packing/1st weeks essentials after my post on it a couple weeks ago.  I'm in no way an expert, and I got most of these suggestions from Jules and her OMLCs. (And then cribbed this post from a list I sent to another new mom-to-be)

If you have anything to add, put it in the comments!

For Home
For boy baby circumscisions: gauze and vaseline
Think about a fridge in the nursery/master bedroom for bottles and snacks/drinks for mom
Aden and Anais Blankets
Avent 0-6 month pacifiers
Miracle Blanket
Zip up jammies.  Lots of them.  They are crucial!
The boppy.  I love it.  Use it more than anything else (other than diapers)
Breastfeeding Basics
From the hospital (even if you have them at home) take:
Kimono shirts
Extra nipples for formula bottles
Gauze (see above)
Vaseline (see above)
Gummy pacifiers
Lanolin (Get it from lactation consultant)
Nose Suction Thingie
Pack for the hospital:
Shower shoes
Yoga pants
Tank Tops (I am still living in the costco 2-pack of tanks.  Don't spend lots of money on nursing tanks)
Shampoo/Shower Stuff
Towel (The hospital towels are literally handtowels)
Pillow
Maxipads (They have them, but they are TERRIBLE). I recommend these: http://www.kotex.com/NA/products/u-by-kotex-cleanwear-ultra-thin-heavy-flow-pads-with-wings/90394 . Go ahead and get a pack or two, so no one has to go get them later.
Soft nail file for baby
Boppy (I never used it for BFing, but I have a football hold baby)
Change of clothes or two for Dad
Going home outfits
Camera/all chargers
Ipod
Checkbook (You have to pay for birth certificate by check)
Notepad and pen (You will have questions, and you will forget them!)
Chapstick (Dry hospital air)
Also, I don't know if everyone does this or if just we did, but Shawn brought a couple dozen cupcakes on Day 2 in the hospital, one dozen for L&D, one for post-partum nurses. They REALLY appreciated. And I got a good room :)

No comments:

Post a Comment