Monday, September 19, 2011

The Meetup

Well, I did it.

Put myself out there to meet some new moms.

I sent out an email to the neighborhood listserv looking to see if there was anything existing for newish moms.  Long story short, I got several interested emails and last Friday I organized a meet up at the local cupcake shop for whoever wanted to stop by.

TWELVE women and their babies did.  That's twelve families... free mid-day on a Friday... all with babies under four months old. 

Add in the fact that lots of them were cloth diaperers, exclusive breast-feeder, non-pacifier users, and I was a little out of my element.  I was trying to not feel judged or bad-parenty.  And I think I succeeded.

I use formula some because I HAVE to.

I use a  pacifier because I WANT to.

I use disposable diapers because, well, I don't do well with gross.

We're going to make the meet-up a weekly occurrence for those that can make it.  I see some potential friendships in the crowd.  And I need to get over my hangups.

1 comment: