Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Past is Prologue (I hope)

We got to do something that was not only really neat but reminded me of my childhood this past weekend.

My Father and I share a passion for all things aviation - he had the honor of being a flight engineer on a B-29 Bomber during the last days of World War II.

When Susann and I flew to Europe for our honeymoon Dad was far more interested in the fact the we flew on a Boeing 777 than where we were going - ""Paris? Aren't there French there?

One of the my best memories from childhood (I am blessed that there are many) was Dad taking me to airports (Florence, Myrtle Beach Air Force Base and Charleston Air Force Base) to watch the planes take off and land.  I loved it then and to be completely honest I still do.

Susann was kind enough to agree to a visit Gravely Point Park this weekend.  It is directly in the approach pattern to Reagan National Airport.  The planes literally come in about 200 feet over your head as the come in for a landing = awesome.

Robbie and Anna Helen were troopers.  Robbie was scared when I held him, scared when I put him down and held his hand but seemed to be just fine when we put him in his wagon to watch the planes come in.

While clearly Robbie's childhood is going to be different from mine I hope that in at least some small ways we will get to share the wonder of discovery just as our parents got to share with us.  There is NOTHING is this world like the wide eyes and smile of a child discovering something for the first time.







No comments:

Post a Comment