Wednesday, July 13, 2011

NPR on Infertility

I'm not really the NPR type.

Whenever people ask if I've listened to this or that on the radio, I usually confess that I only hear NPR when I'm in cabs getting from one place to another in DC. 

Why?  Probably because of XM? 

Anyways, NPR has a new online series/blog that I stumbled across the other day that is now a favorite read. 

"The Baby Project"  (http://www.npr.org/blogs/babyproject/ ) follows all kinds of moms-to-be.  Some have been lucky and got pregs right away.  Some are pregnant after fertility treatments and/or miscarraiges.  Some believe in natural childbirth only... others (like me!) think that medicating is the way to go.  Some moms-to-be live in the middle of no where... others are thinking about how the heck they are going to raise babies in the city.

Maybe its only interesting to me because its timely?

I started reading when I came across the entry titled "Infertility its Not the End of the World" when the entry (http://www.npr.org/blogs/babyproject/2011/07/06/137504382/infertility-its-not-the-end-of-the-world) references several studies, including one from NIH that have found that the "psychological impact of a diagnosis of infertility is comparable to a diagnosis of cancer."

While that statement is dramatic, the post is worth a look at the psychological ups and downs of fertility (or lack there of), the treatment options out there, and the real stories of three of the blog participants who were brave enough to share their stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment